Saturday, August 2, 2008

living light

I helped a friend move this week, and I'm moving in September.

Moving is a perfect opportunity to look at your belongings and realize how much stuff/crap we accumulate. My friend put a microwave, vacuum cleaner, espresso machine, iron, clothes, shoes etc etc on the curb. We threw out tons of plastic in so many forms... tupperware, insulated mugs, appliances, hangers.

One recurring theme was that my friend tends to bring things home from the "free" pile at work. We vowed that just because something is free, doesn't mean we have to accept it into our lives. And I renewed my vow to look carefully at my purchases and material possessions.

Because when you have too much stuff--plastic or otherwise--it owns you, instead of you owning it.

"Live light. Travel light. Spread the light. Be the light."

No comments: