Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lush conditioning bar is MY new conditioner.


Have I told you about Lush's Jungle Conditioning Bar ? I forget. Well in the flurry of my new plastic-free lifestyle back in June I bought this "conditioning bar". After all, hair conditioner comes in a plastic bottle (as does shampoo but somehow I already own a life's supply of shampoo).
I have to admit I haven't want to give up my hair conditioner and didn't run out of what I already owned until just recently. You see I have a A LOT of hair (on my heard) 20 inches from the top of my ponytail to the bottom (I just measured). If you don't have long hair you don't know that conditioner is a gift from God (gold, frankincense, and muhr have nothing on conditioner). 20 inches is a lot of hair to untangle and I have lived a happy-go-lucky, fill-my-entire-hand-with-conditioner, slather-it-on lifestyle up to this point and still I hate brushing my hair right out of the shower because of the tangles. So, the thought of a 'conditioning bar' scared me a bit (okay more than a bit-I bought a new bottle of conditioner the day before we went to one piece of plastic a day). I have seriously contemplated cutting my hair to shoulder length at least 100 times in the last two months. You can see how conditioner is serious business to me. Well I bit the bullet two days ago. I used the bar. It doesn't really come with instructions so I rubbed it around on my head for awhile then down the length of my hair, which seemed to cause more tangles than it eliminated BUT in the end it actually worked pretty good. I used it again today and it really does work!
Now, I read some reviews on this 'bar' before I bought it (one must be an informed consumer) and the one review that sticks with me to this day was from a girl who said the smell of the bar reminded her of Disneyland?!? What does that mean? I'm not channeling that kind of crazy but I will recommend it to you as a plastic-free alternative for hair conditioner and I promise that after you use it your hair will be less tangled than it is after getting off the Mad Hatter's Tea Cup Ride at Disneyland. If that's not a glowing endorsement I don't know what is.
Lesson learned: Sometimes change is good, especially when it involves reducing plastic :)

5 comments:

plasticfreenyc said...

YAY! this is exciting. i don't know what i'm going to do when i run out of the baby shampoo i bought in greece. my texture of my hair is so messed up now from some combination of straightening, brazilian relaxing and dyeing it. oops.

how much is the lush bar? i volunteer to try the shampoo bar when i run out of shampoo!

Fern Toe said...

Yay to the shampoo bar too! The Jungle conditioning bar is sold by weight (I think it's cut off a big wheel-like cheese)...I bought a $20 bar. Yes that is A LOT more expensive than the cheap conditioner I used to buy and seemingly (i.e. in size) much less, but I don't know how long it will last yet. Hopefully it will last at least $20 worth.

MJ said...

I bought a shampoo bar and hunk of conditioner last weekend (both were $20 together). LOVE THEM!

plasticfreenyc said...

really? i've been using the conditioner bar and it's not agreeing with my hair :(
smells good though!

plasticfreenyc said...

i mean-- my hair is a knotty slimy disaster. do not like.