Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The things that make me happpy...

...are not the same things that make most people happy,
...at least not since starting The Plastic Diet.

This makes me happy!
plastic is forever
You know what those are? They are glass straws (and two straw cleaners)!!!
I bought them :)

They are made by a guy named David Leonhardt.
He makes them because, and I quote:
"I immediately recognized that here [glass straws] was a partial solution to our 'plastics problem'. Now, granted, there are a lot more plastics in our world than just drinking straws, but bear with me a minute and let me put things in perspective ... As of March 2008, McDonald’s serves an average of 52 million meals PER DAY!! (Per their website) How many of those served do you think were given a plastic straw? I hope it is becoming obvious just how big of a problem these pesky little plastic straws can be. Remember, this is just from McDonalds!!"

A man after my own plastic-hater heart. Plastic is pesky!

Check out his website: www.glassdharma.com and you can get some glass straws too! (Not you Jer and Sar I already got you the family pack for Christmas.)

Now hear is the real amazing part, NO PLASTIC (other than tape) was used in shipping these straws to me! Everything used in the shipping is in the picture above. Keep in mind they shipped me glass and still no plastic was needed! (Amazon.com you should be ashamed with how much plastic you use to ship books!) I did ask them not to use any plastic in the 'message to the vender' box when I submitted my order, but I get the feeling they give this kind of plastic-free treatment to everyone :)
Woohoo! See, doesn't this make you happy too?

1 comment:

plasticfreenyc said...

hi erin
i'm about to take the plunge and buy some glass straws. have you been liking yours? do you use them often?
let me know if you encourage them or if i can just save my money by saying "no straw please!" (which i have the hardest time remembering to do..)
thanks!
xo k