Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sugar cookies, frosting, and not being a martyr.

I made sugar cookies last night... For me sugar cookies just are not right without Pillsbury frosting which-of course-comes in plastic. It was my plastic for the day and it brought happiness to all those who partook of the cookies today, but still I felt guilty buying it. I could make my own frosting....but it's just not the same. That sickeningly sweet chemically stuff made by Pillsbury makes my heart flutter when it is smeared on the top of a delicious sugar cookie (which I did make myself). I feel much more guilty buying "food related" plastic (like the frosting container) than I do buying "industrial related" plastic (this frosting created more than a little guilt). For example I had not guilt last week buying the weatherstripping for my doors so warm air stays in and cold air stays out at night. I guess what it comes down to is the fact that yummy cookies are a luxury and not freezing to death is a bit more on the necessity side of things and the point of the plastic diet is to give up these luxury things. So, as a plastic dieter partaking in the luxury side of plastic is much harder than it used to be. In the end though some 'bad' plastic serves as a vessel for very delicious frosting and that's just the way it is. It's the plastic diet not plastic martyrdom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I broke into a pint of Ben & Jerry's last week that my husband brought into the house. Usually, I'm able to leave his plastic alone. But this was just calling... calling... calling my name...

We all break our diets here and there, in more ways than one.

Beth

The Green Cat said...

And while it might not assuage your guilt, those containers are at least reusable. I've used them to store food or craft supplies. I've also used them to wrap up and give away cookies to other folks.

Fern Toe said...

I love the idea of using the container to "wrap up" cookies! Love it. Although I try not sluff-off my plastic onto others (this is a bit of my punishment to myself for buying it) this may be an exception. Thanx for the thoughtful words to you both.