Sunday, October 5, 2008

Go plastic free, bring your own.

I went to a party tonight. I brought and used my own silverware and glass. No one noticed the fork I used, but as I pulled the glass out of my purse I caught myself apologizing, "I don't mean to be rude, but I don't use plastic" I said as I passed my friend the glass to fill my water. I even said this to someone who knows I don't use plastic and thinks it's great, so obviously I had no need to apologize. It's funny, people really don't mind (or notice) that I bring my own stuff yet I keep apologizing. In fact, I think (at least for now) I am a fun quaky plastic-free-oddity at parties. Kind of like 'not using plastic' is my new party trick (I also have double jointed elbows to fall back on if the plastic thing doesn't wow them). One thing is for sure, not using plastic is always a conversation starter, and more and more I find I'm not the only one starting that conversation.

No comments: