Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cough cough sneeze sneeze

I knew this day would come...I have a cold :( Boo-hoo. I know, I know, we all get colds no big deal, BUT what kind of cold remedies are out there that don't come in plastic? I have been a user of Airborn, Zicam, NyQuil, etc. ...but I want to find some good (likely home remedies) for the common cold that don't come in plastic. What do you suggest? My first non-plastic remedy recommendation comes from my sister-in-law. She suggests: sleep! I love sleep so I am all over this, but the reality is it's hard to get much more sleep than I already do and get everything done that needs to get done. But since I only have 5 NyQuil doses left I slept in an extra hour today :) I still have a cold :( I think I'm going to go buy some oranges now. Please any good plastic free home remedies are highly appreciated. Thanx.

7 comments:

That Library Girl said...

Home Remedy! Take one large onion and eat it. Raw. yum.

You could dip it in honey or bake it till its soft and smother it in butter but I swear one raw onion will kill a cold in an hour.

And then it will kill anyone you breath on.

Fern Toe said...

Well then, it is worth a try. I also went to Whole Foods today and where Essence of Oregano was recommended to me. I guess if you take 5 drops a day in a glass of water it really boosts your immune system. I am going to be one stinky cold-free, plastic-free, maybe friend-free woman in a couple of days.

PlasticFreeForMe,please! said...

What are you doing about tissues? Do you really use handkerchiefs? This has been a stumbling block for me in my fledgling Plastic Diet as I also have a cold!

Fern Toe said...

Good point about the tissues. I do have a hanky but I really just use it for a napkin--not for my nose. I use toilet paper for tissues right now. I buy toilet paper rolls individually the ones wrapped in paper not the super size pack in plastic.

Fern Toe said...

More advice from my a friend:
"try boiling water and then inhaling the steam... or taking a hot shower...
or my favorite is eating spicy food- Indian usually works best for me.. really clears out the sinuses ;) and is way yummier than just steam...

plasticfreenyc said...

you should sip hot water every 10 minutes, all day.

http://www.thefemmenetwork.com/tfn.php?cent=view_news&nid=72

lauren said...

For stuffy noses, use a neti pot. You can buy ceramic ones at Whole Foods. Add salt and hot water and enjoy! You Tube has several video tutorials.

I get chronice sinus infections and thanks to the neti, I don't need presciption meds each time.