Thursday, May 21, 2009

reducing plastic...in the kitchen

Some pictures and thoughts of how I have reduced plastic in my kitchen this year:

I buy food from bulk bins at Whole Foods/food co-op/farmer's market and store it in jars. On the lower shelf is loose leaf tea in reusable and refillable tins.


I wash out ziploc and all other plastic food bags (i.e. from chips, candy, etc.) to use over and over and over and over again.


For the trash I use paper bags (small or large) acquired while shopping. I just say no to plastic bags.


I've acquired a number of non-plastic reusable containers for food and I reuse the glass jars my food comes in for containers too.


I use bar soap to clean the dishes and hope to find liquid soap from a bulk dispenser to refill that glass corn shaped soap dispenser. I use a Skoy cloth instead of a synthetic plastic sponge.

No comments: