Friday, December 5, 2008

Warning...

I'm flabbergasted. I bought an 8 quart "multi-pot" made by Calphalon tonight. I scored a turkey carcass on Thanksgiving so I could make delicious homemade turkey noddle soup and realized when I got home I didn't own a pot big enough to boil this turkey in. So a week later I have gotten around to buying a big enough pot to make my soup. It came in cardboard box and I'm a bit exhausted tonight so I didn't think to inspect inside the box before bringing my new Calphalon pot home..
Low and behold...

FOUR bags for each of the four parts of this multi-use pot! Yikes! This is absolutely crazy!
But what is more crazy is the warning (in three languages mind you) on each bag.

Here is verbatim:
WARNING: To avoid danger of suffocation, keep this bag away from babies and children. Do not use in cribs, beds, carriages or playpens. This bag is not a toy. Discard bag and any other packaging materials immediately after removing product. Do not re-use this bag.

Here is how I would amend this warning:
WARNING: To avoid danger of suffocation and death, keep this bag away from babies, children, and all animals-especially animals who live in and buy the sea. Do not use in cribs, beds, carriages, playpens, outside, inside, on land, in the ocean or basically anywhere. This bag is not a toy-this bag may bring death to many animals. Do not discard this bag and any other packaging materials immediately after removing product. Please find a way to reuse them before recycling them. Re-use this bag at the very least! Then write Calphalone and ask then to stop using these wasteful bags in their packaging.

And a picture like this might be a good warning too!

1 comment:

Juli said...

Hi there! I've been enjoying your blog for a couple weeks, finding it through Beth's Fake Plastic Fish. I started my own plastic reduction blog recently and have been mining your site for ideas and inspiration-- hope you don't mind!

What do you think of this?

http://council.nyc.gov/html/action_center/no_to_plastic_bag_bill.shtml

If Governor Paterson does nothing, the new state law will take effect after Dec. 11. The state law will nullify NYC's stronger law, passed last January.

Would you mind checking this out and posting about it? I think we need a lot more eyes on the issue- it isn't getting much press.

Juli