Saturday, March 21, 2009

angst

I wish I wasn't filled with so much angst over my recent purchase of an external hard drive....BUT it is made of plastic and came in plastic packaging (2 pieces and tape)! Maybe I should have looked for a used external hard drive on craigslist (why am I just thinking of this now? is that a good idea buying a used hard drive?). I'm not very technologically savvy (read: I had my younger brother buy the external hard drive for me because I didn't know where to start and he had to show me how to use it) but I have begun to feel it is completely reckless of me to not back up all my digital pictures, i-tunes library, and dissertation work. So, I took the plunge. Now I am trying to justify my decision in my head and I have a real negative bias against spending unnecessary time and energy justifying decisions that have already been made...this is where the angst comes in. Technology and the plastic diet seem to bump heads a lot.

1 comment:

The Internetter said...

I'm in the market for an external hard drive now, and I've been thinking that a used (refurbished?) one is the answer. I've actually checked Craigslist, but its electronics unfortunately seem to be mired in scams (stolen goods?) rather than actual people trying to sell their crap. I've tried to find a used electronics place, but no luck so far....