Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Reheating food sans plastic

I don't use Tupperware to store my food that often (I only have two 'official' pieces of Tupperware and some leftover yogurt or frosting containers that also do the job). But I try to reuse glass jars from food I buy and I have a cupboard full of Ball jars I have bought or inherited that I mostly use to keep food in. I don't think I will be buying any more reusable plastic Tupperware or those less-long-lasting Gladware ones they sell now. In fact I don't think I will be buying any more ever. I am cutting that plastic out of my life for good. I don't need it! Plus, there are a lot of health risks related to heating food while it is in plastic (I don't think there is any risk in storing food in plastic just reheating). Okay heating in glass has it's hazards too...glass gets hot—really holds that heat—but I am willing to take the risk and wear oven mitts. In fact since I don't have a microwave glass has really come in handy for reheating food. Check out the picture. Obviously I am not the first one to do this, but I find it fun (and pre-microwave-era-kitchy) every time I reheat leftover food in glass jars using boiling water :) I couldn't/wouldn't want to do that with Tupperware! Sorry Tupperware I know you last a long time (since my mother has had the same set my whole life!) and you are reusable, but you are plastic and you are out! Go glass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture is funny. It reminds me of how my grandma used to heat up Hershey's fudge sauce. Mmmmmm...

Anonymous said...

New reader here and I'm hooked! Our microwave went out this summer and we have went microwaveless too. Seems once you do that going back to the old school methods are pretty easy and really not that hard! We are slowly stopping plastic, I am about to announce my challenge to stop using plastic on my blog, I have plenty we are reusing as of now and I always use my green bags. Thanks for all your great ideas!! I have a feeling I will be referencing you many Sundays! (I blog about green things on Sundays!)